Thursday, December 3, 2009

Ultimate Student Travel Guide – UK Sep 2009

Ultimate Student Travel Guide – UK Sep 2009

This Word document contains the essential details for your onward travel to UK, breaking the myths regarding the rules for Working in UK during and after studies. It is suitable for all kind of travelers – whether you are an absolute beginner or a frequent air traveler.

Swine flu
How to Board a flight to UK from your city
Details about Immigration and Customs checking at UK airport
What to take with you to UK. Sample shopping lists.
Traveling inside UK
How much Money to bring along with you initially
Working during studies
Extending your stay in UK after studies – Post study work visa
Banking details. How to transfer money from India
UK electrical standards, Safety issues, people, mobile phones

All students are advised to take precautionary measures against “swine flu”. The flu has become very common in UK and can be easily contracted to you when traveling by air or in the airport or in your university campus. It is better to carry a strip of “Tami flu” medicine before you leave India. But do not consume the medicine without proper medical advice. Worst fact is that the virus attacks healthy adults in the age group of 20 to 35. Even though there’s media hype about swine flu, the fact is that the disease is on the rise.

Things to do at Indian airport

Get a trolley at airport departure area and keep passport, ticket and a pen handy. Police will check the ticket and passport when u enter into airport building
Look for the line for your airline baggage scanner at the scanner place u’r baggage’s and collect them at other end of scanner.
Look for the airlines counter (economy class) for boarding pass. Once u reach the counter provide the passport and ticket. Place the baggage’s for the airline person to check in.
Get the boarding pass, passport and baggage sticker at the counter. Check the gate no and seat number. Get the cabin bag tag from them. Also ask them for departure card.
Fill out the departure car/sheet and proceed to immigration clearance.
Stand in the line and provide passport and ticket. Immigration officer may ask few questions about u’r travel. Officer will stamp on u’r passport and ticket. Collect it from them and proceed to customs if anything to declare
take the elevator/steps and go to 1st floor to security check in.(CHENNAI)
At the sec. check place the cabin bag in the scanner and keep u’r passport and ticket with u. Go thru the sec. check and get the stamped ticket from them. Then proceed and relax near to your no.
Proceed to gate when they announce for boarding. Once u get into the flight, show the ticket to the crew and they will assist you to get to the seat.

Since it is going to be a long flight wear something comfortable (cotton dress). Wear your shoes - in flight you can remove them (some airlines give in flight shoes - else relax in socks).
Check all the documents once again and keep them at appropriate places.
Be at the airport 3-4 hours before the departure.
Relax during flight, sleep as much as possible.
For vegetarians - watch out before you eat - you may get non-veg even if you had asked for veg. Veg food is generally bland - fruits/juices are good choices. (Before ordering anything on board check if, you have to pay for it separately). Don't hesitate to ask questions.
Once out of India be very careful (from sheer experience of seniors). Don't trust anyone. Don't hire a taxi (unless emergency) till you reach your destination. If required don't hesitate to spend money.

Because of swine flu, all travelers from outside Europe are entitled to compulsory free medical check-up at the arrivals. A chest X-ray will be taken for tuberculosis and a swine flu test will be conducted. The entire procedure will take anywhere between 45 min to 2hours.

Immigration control

When you get to the UK your first step is to pass through immigration control. The UK offers a warm welcome to international students.

Here’s a step-by-step guide to the process.
When you enter the terminal building, follow the signs for ‘Arrivals’. These signs will lead you to the passport control area. (If you are transferring to another flight at the same airport, follow the signs for ‘Flight Connections’ instead. Then, at your final airport, follow the signs for ‘Arrivals’.)
As you approach passport control, you will see electronic screens indicating where you should queue. There will be two types of queue: one for travelers with British or EEA (European Economic Area) passports, and another for all other passport-holders. Make sure you join the correct queue, or you could waste a lot of time.
At some major airports, arriving passengers are also sorted by flight number as they enter the immigration control area, so you should have this number to hand. You can find your flight number on your boarding card and ticket stub. You will also need to know your flight number later in order to collect your baggage, so do keep this information with you even after you leave the plane.
When you reach the front of the queue, the immigration officer at the desk will want to see that your documents are in order, so make sure you have them ready. In particular you should have ready your letter of acceptance from your place of study and evidence of your funding, such as a sponsor’s letter or bank statements. The immigration officer will check that you have an up-to-date passport and, if required, a valid visa or entry clearance. If you are not sure whether you require entry clearance, see chapter 2 for more information. You should also be prepared to answer some questions about yourself, including where you will be staying and what you intend to do during your time in the UK.
You may be asked to undergo a brief, routine health check by the airport doctor, which might include an X-ray. The health check will take place in a separate room. Afterwards, you will need to return to immigration control.
If you obtained entry clearance (a visa or entry certificate) before you left your home country, the immigration officer will put a stamp in your passport showing the date you entered the UK. The conditions of your stay will already be printed on your entry clearance. As long as your documents are in order, you should pass through immigration smoothly.

Customs control
Your next step is to move on to the baggage reclaim area. Collect your luggage from the carousel that has your flight number on it. If you cannot find your luggage ask a member of airport staff for assistance. Once you have collected your luggage, you must pass through customs control.

You should have a choice of three different channels:
Choose the blue channel if you are traveling direct from an airport within the EU where you have already cleared your luggage through customs. When you enter the UK from another EU country, no taxes or duties apply to your goods.
Choose the green channel if you are traveling from outside the EU and have nothing to declare. Customs officials may still stop you and ask you to open your luggage for inspection if they wish, or they may allow you to pass straight through.
Choose the red channel if you are traveling from outside the EU and you have goods to declare. You have goods to declare if you are carrying more duty-free or tax-free goods than you are allowed to bring, or if you are carrying any prohibited goods. (Find out in advance what your allowance is and which goods or food items are prohibited: check with your local British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate before you leave home. You can also check the travel information section on the HM Customs and Excise site When you go through the red channel, a customs official will ask you what you have to declare. He or she will probably also ask you to open your luggage so he or she can see what you are bringing into the UK. You will not be allowed to bring in any prohibited goods. If you are carrying more duty-free goods than you are allowed, you will be able to bring them in but you will have to pay duty on them before you can proceed. So if you choose to bring in more goods than your duty-free allowance, do make sure you have a credit card or enough extra cash with you to pay the duty.

Traveling on to your destination in the UK

Check any information your college or university has sent you, as it may include information about how to get there from the main airports and other ports in the UK. Some colleges and universities also arrange transport services for students at the start of the academic year. For example, some universities arrange to collect students from the airport or train station. Details of any services like this should be included in the information your college or university has sent you. If you want to use these services, you may need to book in advance. If you are making your own onward travel arrangements, the information below will help you plan the next part of your journey

Heathrow to your city– If you are traveling from Heathrow to somewhere other than London, try to avoid going into central London: the network of direct bus and coach services from Heathrow serves many UK destinations. You can also take a bus from Heathrow to connect with rail services from Reading and Working if necessary. If you do have to go into central London, you can get there either by London Underground,* or by Heathrow Express train to Paddington Station, or by bus to King’s Cross Station.

Heathrow Airport to London city
The easiest way is to take an overground train to Victoria main-line station.
The Gatwick Express runs every 15 minutes non-stop to Victoria in about 30 minutes. Fare: approximately £14–£25.00, depending on the type of ticket purchased.
Southern trains run direct to Victoria and London Bridge and to Charing Cross via Waterloo East. Journey times are a little longer but the fares are cheaper than those of the Gatwick Express.
The Heathrow Express (overground train) runs every 15 minutes and takes about 15 minutes to reach London Paddington Station. Fare: approximately £13.50– £26, depending on the type of ticket purchased.
The London Underground trains run about every three to seven minutes, depending on the time of day, from about 5.00 to 5.30 a.m. until about 12.00 to 12.30 midnight on Mondays to Saturdays, and from about 5.45 to 6.15 a.m. until about 11.30 to 12.00 midnight on Sundays. Journey time: about 45 minutes. Fare: approximately £4.00. If you are traveling over the weekend or after 9.30 a.m.
Bus: the National Express Airport bus runs approximately every 10 minutes to Victoria coach station. Journey time about 60 minutes. Fare: single one-way approximately £10


If you are traveling to the UK from a country outside the European Union and are carrying more than 10,000 Euros with you in cash, cheques or a bankers draft you will need to declare this to customs. See On Arrival. British coins come in the following denominations: 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 (100p), £2 (200p).Banknotes come in denominations of £5, £10, £20, £50 and £100. Normal banking hours are from 09.30 to 16.30 Monday to Friday. Some are open on Saturday mornings. You can change currency and cash travelers’ cheques at ‘Bureaux de Change’ offices, which are open for longer, and are often located in stations and airports. Try to avoid changing very small amounts of money as there is often a minimum commission charge which makes it expensive. Shops and services in the UK will accept payment in UK currency only. Credit and debit cards are also widely accepted. You may be able to withdraw money from cash point ('ATM') machines if you have a Personal Identification Number (PIN) for that card. When you arrive in the UK, you should bring about £250 in cash and travelers’ cheques for your immediate needs (meals, train fares, etc.). Avoid carrying any more cash in case it gets lost or stolen. Most shops and hotels will accept credit cards, and some will also accept payment in sterling travelers’ Cheques

The first few weeks

When you first get to the UK, you will have lots of things to do and it may be a few days before you are able to approach a bank and open a bank account. In some parts of the UK it can take several weeks to open a bank account and once you do, it may take a while for your transferred funds to clear through the banking system. So altogether, it could be anywhere from ten days to six weeks before you have access to the funds you transfer. Obviously, you will need some other sources of money in the meantime. The possibilities include:

• Sterling cash. As mentioned earlier, you should not carry large amounts of cash, but do bring about £200 to cover the costs of your first few days. If your dependants are traveling with you, you will need to bring more cash.

• Other currencies. Most airports and seaports in the UK have a 24-hour bank or bureau de change where you can change overseas currency or travelers’ cheques no matter what time you arrive. In Scotland at Glasgow, Prestwick or Edinburgh airports, though, you might have trouble exchanging money after 9.00 p.m. – keep this in mind when booking your flight and planning your cash needs. You can also exchange money at banks throughout the UK. Most are open from 9.30 a.m. to 4.30 p.m., Monday to Friday and some are open on Saturday mornings from 9.30 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. If you arrive outside those hours, or at the weekend, plan either to exchange your money at the airport/ seaport, or to bring enough sterling to cover your needs until the banks open.

• Travelers’ cheques. These are safer than carrying cash, as they are insured against loss or theft. They can be cashed at banks and bureaux de change and travelers’ cheques made out in sterling can also be used like cash in many shops and restaurants – but check with the staff in each case to be sure. If carrying travelers’ cheques, keep them in a safe place, separate from your passport.

• Credit cards are widely accepted as payment in the UK, and you can also use them to get cash from the machines at banks (see section 6.5 for further information). Check with your bank at home to find out how much commission you will be charged if you use your home credit card in the UK.

Do not carry large amounts of cash with you; bring just enough for your immediate needs (at least £200). Bring a credit card, if you have one, to pay for things like rail tickets and hotel bills. If possible, your cash should include some coins and some small bank notes (£5 or £10) so that you can use public telephones and ticket machines if necessary. Carry cash, credit cards and travelers’ cheques in a safe place, such as an inside pocket, a money belt or a zipped handbag. Make a note of the serial numbers of your travelers’ cheques, and pack this separately from the cheques themselves. Keep your travelers’ cheques separate from your passport.

Currency transfer: moving your money to the UK
Lloyds bank and Natwest offer the best deals for international students.

It is risky to carry large amounts of cash when you’re traveling. When the time comes to travel to the UK, plan to take just enough cash to meet your immediate needs (see the next section, ‘The first few weeks’) and send the rest of your funds by another method, such as:

• International money order. You buy this at home before you leave, and then when you get here you can either pay it directly into your UK bank account or take it to a post office to obtain cash. To exchange it for cash, the money order must be in sterling (British currency), and you will need to show your passport as identification. These money orders can be made payable to your UK institution and used to pay tuition fees. Any additional money for your living expenses should be on a separate money order or bank draft.
• Bank draft. This is similar to an international money order, except that you can only pay it into a bank account; you cannot exchange it for cash. Ask to have it made out to you in sterling and drawn on a British bank. That way you will not pay a commission fee when you pay it into your account, and the funds will take less time to clear (move through the system and into your account).
• Electronic transfer. Your bank in your home country transfers funds from your home account directly to your account in the UK. This is often the easiest way to transfer money, but it cannot be arranged until you have opened a bank account in the UK.

Working during studies

If you have student immigration permission that allows you to take employment, you can work up to 20 hours a week during term-time and full-time during your holidays

National Insurance Numbers
International students do not need a permanent National Insurance Number (NINO) before they start work and an employer should not refuse to employ a student because they do not have a NINO.
Employers may issue a student with a form of temporary number (not a temporary NINO) so international students should not be put off from applying for jobs without a permanent NINO.

What is a National Insurance number and how do I get one?
Your National Insurance number (NINo) is a unique personal number which is used to record your
National Insurance contributions. You do not need to have a NINo before starting work, but you must obtain one when you get a job. If your employer insists that you must have a NINo before they can offer you a job, you can show them the back cover of the UK Government leaflet, 'Find Your Way To Work', which you can find at:, which confirms that they can employ you if you do not yet have a NINo.

An international student can apply for a permanent NINO if they state they are a student seeking work and can provide the following information:
• Passport or national ID card.
• Campus accommodation license or a private sector tenancy agreement.
• University Student ID card.
• You may also provide any letters or documents relating to a new job, should you already have them.

The important thing to remember when applying for jobs is that as soon as you have a response from an employer, set the wheels in motion and apply for your permanent NINO.

Extending your stay after studies – Post Study Work Category UNDER TIER 1

Your current visa to UK is valid only until November/December of next year 2010. In order to stay in UK after this date, you have to switch to “Post study work” category. This should be done before your current visa expires, preferably in October 2010 after you receive Master’s degree from the UK University. The Post study work category falls under Tier 1. So you are going to make a shift from TIER4 (STUDENT) to TIER1 (POST STUDY WORK).

If you are already in the United Kingdom, you should apply to stay as soon as possible and before your current leave runs out. We encourage you to apply one month before your leave runs out. You apply in person at a public enquiry office for a fee of £600. You will usually receive a decision on the day of the application. To apply as a Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) Migrant in the UK, make your application on form Tier 1 (Post-study work). You can download the application form and accompanying policy guidance from the UK Border Agency website at

You will be awarded Post study work visa, if you meet the following three conditions:

You should Poses a Degree awarded by British university (Automatic) original letter from United Kingdom institution
Medium of instruction should have been English (Automatic) original certificate of award
Maintenance (funds) -- Should have maintained a sum of 800 British pounds in your UK bank account continuously for the past three months before the date you apply for Post study work category.
The first two conditions will be automatically met once you complete your course successfully.
The third condition should be dealt with carefully.
If you are applying from within the United Kingdom, the balance must show that you have had at least £800 in your account at all times over the three-month period. Evidence must be in the form of cash funds- Letter from bank confirming funds and that they have been in bank for at least three months or Personal bank or building society statements covering the three-month period immediately before the application. You will have to show that you have enough funds, by sending documentation showing you have had savings of at least £800 for at least three months before applying.
Maintenance (funds) can include:
· cash savings in your bank account that have been in your account for at least three months before your application;
· cash savings in a joint bank account that have been in your joint account for at least three months before your application;
· cash savings held in a bank account overseas (we convert the amount to pounds sterling using the rate which appears on the OANDA website, which you can find on the right side of this page, and the date on your bank statement), that have been in your account for at least three months before your application.
The balance must show that you have had at least £800 in your account at all times over the three-month period for applications submitted within the United Kingdom
Speaking the language: UK banking terms

Balance: The amount of money in your account at any particular moment.
Cash card: Also called ‘cash point card’. This plastic card allows you to take money from your account at any time of the day, including outside banking hours, by using a cash machine (also called ‘cash point’). You will find cash machines built into the wall outside the bank, and also in other places such as outside supermarkets, at petrol stations and in large shopping centres. You can use your card in the cash machines of other banks. There is a limit on how much money you can take out of your account each day by cash card. There may be a charge if you use a cash machine that is not provided by your own bank or building society, for example in certain supermarkets.

Cheque guarantee card: A plastic card which guarantees that your bank will pay the cheques you write, usually up to a fixed limit shown on the card. The cheque guarantee card and the cash card are usually combined as one card, often with debit-card facilities as well (see below).

Current account: A bank account, with a cheque book, for depositing and withdrawing money. Most current accounts pay little or no interest.

Debit card: A plastic card that allows you to spend money directly from your account without withdrawing cash or writing a cheque. Often combined with cash-card and cheque-guarantee facilities as one card.

To deposit: To put money into an account. Also called ‘to pay in’.

Deposit account: A savings account where money can earn interest. You may have to give notice if you wish to withdraw any money, and you cannot write cheques for this account.

Interest: Extra money paid to you on money you have deposited, or extra money you pay on money you have borrowed by loans or overdraft.

Overdraft/to overdraw: To overdraw your account means to spend more money than you have in your account. When you overdraw, you are basically borrowing money from the bank. If you think you might need to do this, you should arrange an overdraft with your bank when you set up your account: you and the bank agree on an amount of money by which you may overspend. You will probably have to pay interest and bank charges on your overdraft, although some banks offer free overdraft arrangements for students.

PIN: When you receive your cash card or debit card for your account, the bank will also send you a personal identification number (PIN). Memorise this number: you will need to key it into the machine each time you use your card. Do not tell anyone else your number. Once you are sure that you know the number, destroy the slip that had the number written on it and do not write the number down anywhere else. These are security precautions: if anyone else found out your PIN and found or took your card, they could access your account and take money from it.

To withdraw: To take money from your account by writing a cheque or using a
Cash card.

Safety Issues When using public transport
• If you travel by train, tram or Underground (tube), avoid sitting in an empty carriage. Instead, try to sit near groups of people in a well-lit area.
• When traveling a long way by train, make sure someone knows which train you are traveling on and when you are due to arrive.
• Try to avoid walking alone after getting off a bus or train. If you can, walk close to a group of people or arrange for someone to meet you.
• Check the time of the last train, bus or tram home to avoid being stranded.

In a car
• If you are going on a long journey, plan your route using main roads and telephone ahead to let someone know roughly when to expect you.
• Carry out pre-drive checks on fuel, oil and tyres. Tyre weld is useful in case of a flat tyre as it will mend the tyre for long enough for you to reach a garage.
• Always carry a good torch and check batteries regularly.
• Handbags or briefcases are safer placed on the floor or behind the seat. Never leave valuable items in the car; if you have to, lock them in the boot.
• If you do not have a mobile phone always carry enough change and/or a telephone card to make a telephone call.
• If you’re traveling in a car alone you may feel safer locking the doors while driving.
• Current UK legislation requires the use of ‘hands-free’ mobile phones only while driving.

In a taxi
• Keep the number of a local licenced taxi/minicab firm handy – never use an unlicensed company.
• Be aware that some minicabs that stop in the street may be cheaper but are not licensed, and are therefore not as safe as taxis or minicabs that you arrange by telephone.
• Agree the fare before you get into the taxi in order to avoid confrontation at your journey’s end.
• Always sit in the back.
• It is quite acceptable to chat with the driver, but do not give away any personal information.
• Have your cash ready and leave the cab before you pay the driver.

When walking or cycling
• Keep valuables in a safe place and do not carry large amounts of cash.
• Dress appropriately and make sure you (and your bicycle) are visible, especially after dark.
• Walk on the pavement, facing oncoming traffic. When crossing the road remember that vehicles drive on the left in the UK so will approach you from the right.
• Carry a torch after dark and do not take short cuts, for example, through dark alleyways.
• If you feel you are being followed, cross the street (more than once if necessary), and if you are still unhappy move as quickly as possible to a public area, such as a restaurant or bar, and telephone for help. It is not necessarily the best idea to use the first telephone that you see if it is in an isolated spot.
• To remain safe and alert don’t listen to a personal stereo or have long conversations on a mobile phone while you are walking.

Electrical appliances
The electricity supply in the UK is 240 volts with a frequency of 50 Hertz. Make sure that your electrical appliances are connected to a British 3- square pin plug fitted with a 13-amp fuse. Make sure you buy an adaptor or voltage converter. Generally, you should not have any problems with electrical equipment brought from home

You will find public telephones at all airports, sea ports, railway stations, bus stations and on some
Streets. Instructions on how to use them are displayed next to the telephone. Most red phone boxes have been replaced by newer modern clear glass ones, and there are different companies operating phone services. They accept coins from 20 pence upwards and many phone boxes also accept credit cards, or phone cards (these can be purchased from most convenience stores & newsagents, and come in many denominations from £2 to £20).

Mobile phones

An O2 sim card “pay as u go” can be purchased as soon as you reach using your visa letter or UCOffer. It offers calling to India at 2 pence/minute

Mobile phones are very popular in the UK, and a number of packages are available:
• Pay-monthly plans: You sign a contract (make an agreement) with a mobile phone network or a service provider and agree to use the network’s service for a minimum period, usually12 months. You choose a tariff (a fee structure) from a range of choices offered by the network. The network or service provider bills you monthly for your calls and services.
• Pre-paid plans: You sign a contract with a network or a service provider and pay for a minimum of 12 months’ service in advance, at a cheaper rate than for monthly plans. If you use the phone more than the agreed amount, the network or service provider bills you monthly for the extra time/calls.
• Pay-as-you-go plans: This is probably the best option as it enables you to carefully budget the use and therefore the cost of the phone. You buy credit (talking time) in advance, either direct from the network or in the form of vouchers. You use the phone until the credit runs out, and then you buy more credit. No contracts or bills are involved.

There are hundreds of different tariffs available. For example, one tariff might have low rates for calls made during the day and higher rates in the evening, and another might have the reverse. The cost of phones also varies widely. If you buy a phone when you sign up for a plan, your network will subsidize the cost of the phone, so you will not have to pay the full price. The subsidies vary from network to network and from plan to plan. So shop around until you find the combination of plan, tariff and phone cost that best meets your needs. Shop staff will be able to give you advice, and most places, including the major supermarkets and high street chains, will offer good deals.

Everyone in the UK has the right to religious freedom, and, in addition to the various forms of Christianity, many different religions are practiced. The largest religious communities include:
• the Muslim community, a population of about 1.6 million
• the Hindu community, about 560,000 people
• the Sikh community, about 350,000 people
• the Jewish community, about 270,000 people

Daylight hours
If you come from a place closer to the equator, you will also notice that the amount of daylight changes from season to season in the UK. The south of England, for example, enjoys about 16 hours of daylight in June and July but only eight hours in December and January. The difference between summer and winter daylight is even greater in Scotland, because it’s further from the equator. To make the most of the long hours of daylight during the summer, the UK switches from Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) to British Summer Time (BST): all clocks are moved ahead one hour. BST applies from the end of March to the end of October.

You need not buy all the things in India. There are certain items that are of better quality in Uk. For example bowls, cookery, pillow and beds are available near or inside the universities at a reasonable price. Even the Indian style of modern dresses such as jeans, shirts are pretty out-dated in UK. So students are advised to take between 5 to 8 sets of dresses. The rest can be bought in phases once you reach there. Especially Winter clothing’s should be bought only in UK as the Indian products might wear down easily to Uk weather. Basmathi rice is available everywhere, but it’s a bit costly..
The Baggage allowance for students with visa letter is generally 23*3 = 69 KILOS.46 for the baggage and the rest for check-in hand baggage
SAMPLE 1: Used by student last year--- USA
·1 Sambar powder – 2 pkts
·2 Garam masala – 1 pkt
·3 Rasam powder – 2 pkts
·4 Red chilly powder – 2 pkts
·5 Coriander powder – 2 pkts
o All powders in MTR, Jeyam or Sakthi Masala brand
·6 Poondu podi – 1 pkt
·7 Paruppu podi – 1 pkt
·8 Idli podi – 1 pkt
·9 Tamarind – 1kg
·10 Red gram(thuvaram paruppu) – ½ kg [optional]
·11 Green gram(paasi payiru) – ½ kg [optional]
·12 Turmeric – 1 pkt
·13 Mustard(kadugu) – 1 pkt [optional]
·14 Cumin(seeragam) – 1 pkt [optional]
·15 Fenugreek(venthayam) – 1 pkt [optional]
·16 Fennel seeds(sombu) – 1pkt [optional]
·17 Split black gram(ulundu) – 1 pkt [optional]
·18 Asafoetida(perungayam) – 1 box
·19 Red chilly – 1 kg
·20 Salt – 1 kg [optional]
·21 Sugar – 1 kg [optional]
·22 Wheat flour - 1kg.
·23 Wheat semolina(ravai) - 5 to 10 packets
·24 Vermicelli - 5 to 10 packets
·25 Coffee powder or complan
·26 Tea
·27 Pressure cooker (premier, black metal-can get in rathna stores, chennai) 1 ltr
·1 Non-stick dosai kal with Dosai karandi
·2 Silver spatulas(karandi)
·3 Slotted spoon(jail karandi for poori making) – 1 no
·4 Rolling pin – 1 no
·5 Basic medicines
·6 Tablets (for fever, cold, headache, diahorea, stomach ache, etc)
·7 Ointments (iodex, amrutanjan, Vicks, etc)
·8 Cotton
·9 Band-aids
·10 Ayurvethic medicines
·11 File folders
·12 Passport photocopies - 5
·13 Photos
·14 Daily Calendar - 2
Paasipayiru maavu
Seeyakkaai powder

·15 Coconut oil
·16 Olive oil
·17 Shaving kit
·18 Scissors
·19 Nail cutter
·20 Toothpaste
·21 Toothbrush - 5
·22 Bath soap
·23 Perfume
·24 Deodorant
·25 Comb – 3
·26 Travel Kit
·27 Belt
·28 Watch
·29 Wallet
·30 Neem powder – 4 pkts
·31 Formal shoes and Casuals
·32 slippers
·33 Socks - 2 pairs
·34 Woolen socks – 2 pairs
·35 T-shirts
·36 Shirts
·37 Pants
·38 Thermal wear
·39 Sweater
·40 Jacket
·41 Gloves
·42 Kulla
·43 Muffler
·44 Dhoti
·45 Umbrella
·46 Jean
·47 Casual homewear-5 sets
·48 Innerwear vests & Briefs - 10 sets
·49 Bedspread and Bed sheet.
·50 Bath towels - 2
·51 Locks for check-in bags.
·52 Driving License ( India & International)
·53 Passport
·54 Ticket
·55 Draft
·56 Phone diary
·57 Cash, coins
·58 Traveler’s Cheque
·59 Certificates(original
·60 Notebooks
·61 Pen
·62 Gum
·63 Water bottle(small)
·64 Small mug
·65 Rubber bands
·66 File Folders
·67 Camera
·68 Ipod
Small non-stick vada satti
medium non-stick pan
coffee sauce pan
tea strainer(filter)

Items that we buy in UK
Cereals, Biscuits, Pillow, Comforter, Dinner set, Spoons, Oats, Red gram, Green gram, Mustard, Cumin seeds, Fennel seeds, Fenugreek, Split black gram, Cloves, Cinnamon, cardamom, Trash, Sugar, Salt, Waffle & syrup, Jam, Butter, Washing liquid, Softener, Timepiece, Snacks, Shoulder bag, Moisturizer, Face moisturizer, Hand cream, Paper towel, Bathroom tissue, Shower curtain, Zip lock bags, Phone, Laptop, Dishwashing liquid, Scrub, Thumb drive, Newspapers, Mattress, Storage, containers, Mouthwash, Cooking oil, Dishcloth, Aluminum foil, Iron box, Jacket, Toaster, Knife, Cutting board, Papers, Pencil, Stapler, Pins, Gem clips, Winter Boots


Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts